Sports injuries are the most common type of hurt when one indulges in vigorous exercises or athletic activities. They are primarily caused due to poor methods of training, weaknesses, and abnormalities in the structural frame as well as difficult workout environments. Although many of these injuries are harmless and could be treated through rest and home remedies, some of them are severe and need professional help. In the following discussion, we will explore more about the types of sports injuries and how they could be prevented and cured.
More about the Sports Injuries
1. Knee injuries are the most common for sportspersons. A variety of pains and aches of the kneecap could be together called runner’s knee. Individuals, who take part in activities such as cycling, swimming, and aerobics or sports such as basketball, football, and volleyball primarily, suffer from these complicated issues. The athletes must change their shoes and insoles often. They should not work out on hard surfaces and take a rest between the exercise sessions. Apply ice and use anti-inflammatory ointments for treating these kinds of hurts.
2. Dislocations, sprains, and strains on shoulders are joint with athletes in basketball, volleyball, tennis, swimming, and weightlifting. These issues occur when the rotator cuff or groups of tendons and muscles around the shoulders slacken, giving rise to stiffness, pain, slipping, and weakness. Strengthening the muscles in between workout sessions is necessary. The RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment could be given at home. If this does not work, the patients should consult any of the efficient sports orthopedic specialists.
3. Soccer, basketball, hockey, and volleyball players are familiar with ankle sprains. Swift movements of jumping, turning, running could twist the ankle or even lead to tearing of ligaments and tendons. In case of these injuries, RICE treatment helps. Massaging the ankles would prevent swelling.
4. Concussion is an injury that occurs due to a heavy blow on the head. Dizziness, disorientation, amnesia, vision disturbance, and loss of balance are common symptoms of this medical condition. Athletes indulged in sports like boxing, hockey, soccer primarily have the chances of concussion. While some people return to their everyday work, multiple concussions could cause lasting damage. Rest is perhaps the only treatment for concussions; however, patients must seek the help of medical professionals in severe cases.
5. Lack of flexibility and fatigue could lead to pulled muscles in the athletes. Hamstrings and calves are the most common type of muscle pulls. They could be extremely painful and could lead to bruising. The ideal way of preventing this condition is by stretching before exercises. RICE treatment and anti-inflammatory medicines are helpful in cases of muscle pulls. In severe cases, the patients could be taken to sports orthopedic specialists.
The discussion as mentioned above on the most common type of sports injuries and their prevention and treatment would certainly help many sports persons.